Depending on the individual state of development of your baby, milk or formula will no longer be sufficient from 4 months to the 6th month. Nutritional experts now recommend extending the menu by adding vegetable, potato and meat dishes. Meat is not only rich in protein. It is also the best supplier of natural iron.
How do I get my baby used to weaning food?
First weaning food week after the 4th to 6th month
|Breakfast||Breastfeeding or HiPP Combiotic milk formula*|
|Later in the morning||Breastfeeding or HiPP Combiotic milk formula*|
|At lunchtime||HiPP Vegetables (e.g. Pure Young Carrots, Pure Parsnips), followed by breastfeeding/milk formula|
|In the afternoon||Breastfeeding or HiPP Combiotic milk formula*|
|In the evening||Breastfeeding or HiPP Combiotic milk formula*|
|Between meals||If required: HiPP baby teas, diluted juices|
* Important advice: breastfeeding is best for your baby. Ask your midwife or paediatrician for advice if you would like to use an infant formula.
Start with weaning food after the 4th to 6th month
- At lunchtime before the bottle, start with 4 to 6 spoonfuls of HiPP Vegetables, e.g. “Pure Baby Carrots”, “Pure Parsnips” or “Pumpkin”.
- After the vegetables, give your baby the usual milk (breast milk or HiPP Milk Formula) until he/she is full.
- Increase the amount of vegetables by a few spoonfuls every day.
- If your baby does not accept the vegetables immediately: just be patient. Try repeatedly for several days.
- Use a flat plastic spoon with rounded edges
From the second weaning food week
- Continue with vegetables such as HiPP “Baby Carrots with Potatoes” or “Parsnips with Potatoes”, which you may now add to the menu.
- After your baby has become familiar with vegetables, you can also use meals with meat, for example HiPP “Carrots with Potatoes and Organic Beef” or HiPP “Parsnips with Potatoes and Organic Turkey”.
- One meal with meat is important to give your child enough iron.
- As soon as your little one eats an entire menu jar (190 g), leave out the breast milk/HiPP Milk Formula at lunchtime.
- Some spoonfuls of HiPP Mild Fruit or HiPP Fruit & Cereal as a dessert after a HiPP menu from 4 months make the lunch complete. The vitamin C in the fruit promotes the absorption of iron.
- As the next step, breastfeeding/bottle feeding in the evening can be replaced by a milk and cereal pap. These are available as HiPP Good Night Paps without added sugar in a jar or powder to mix as desired.
- As the 3rd weaning meal, a cereal and fruit pap (e.g. HiPP Fruit & Cereal) is fed in the afternoons instead of a milk meal.
- When the baby is being weaned and one milk meal has been completely replaced by pap, after 6 months you can change over from infant formula to follow-on formula (HiPP 2 ORGANIC, HiPP 2 ORGANIC Combiotic®, HiPP 2 ORGANIC Combiotic® without starch, HiPP HA 2 Combiotic®)*. Breastfed babies will continue to be breastfed.
*If you want to give follow-on formula from a bottle before the end of the 6th month, ask your paediatrician for advice
Tip: the more solid food your baby gets, the more important the drinking issue becomes. Therefore, offer your baby liquid, but do not force them to drink.
Especially suitable are e.g. HiPP Baby Water or diluted fruit juices (1 part of juice to 2 parts of water).
Important: never leave the drinking bottle with your baby to suck on for a longer period of time. If your baby drinks just a little in the beginning, do not worry. As long as the baby’s stool is soft and the diapers are wet and heavy, your baby is getting enough liquid.